This post is also available in: Nederlands (Dutch)
IPL stands for intense pulsed light.
You can use IPL to minimize or remove:
- age spots
- sun damage
- varicose veins
- broken blood vessels on your face
IPL is similar to a laser treatment. However, a laser focuses just one wavelength of light at your skin, while IPL releases light of many different wavelengths, like a photo flash.
The light from IPL is more scattered and less focused than a laser. IPL penetrates down to the second layer of your skin (dermis) without harming the top layer (epidermis), so it causes less damage to your skin.
How To Prepare
Before your IPL procedure, we will examine your skin and let you know what to expect. Let us know if you have any skin conditions that might affect healing after your treatment. Before your IPL treatment:
Avoid any irritants to your skin, such as any products containing Retin-A, retinol, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic/salicylic acids, astringents or Vitamin C for one week before your treatment. Do not wax or use a depilatory on treatment areas for one week prior to your treatment.
We will recommend that you avoid certain activities, medications, and other products for two weeks prior your procedure. You should avoid:
- direct sunlight for 4 weeks before you go
- tanning beds for 4 weeks before you go
- chemical peels
- collagen injections
- drugs that increase your bleeding risk, such as aspirin (Ecotrin) and ibuprofen(Advil)
- creams or other products that contain vitamin A, such as RetinA, or glycolic acid
- tanning creams for 4 weeks before you go
- Wax, or get a chemical peel or collagen shots for 2 weeks before
- Wear perfume, makeup, deodorant, or any skin irritants
- Take aspirin or another drug that can make you bleed more
- Take any medication that will make you sun-sensitive; for example, the antibiotic doxycycline.
“I love it at ASPA! Great ambiance, wonderful friendly service and the best advice I could ever ask for. – Tripadvisor review
Your skin care specialist first cleans the area that’s being treated. Then they rub a cool gel onto your skin. Then, they apply light pulses from the IPL device to your skin. During your treatment, you’ll need to wear dark glasses to protect your eyes.
The pulses might sting your skin. Some people liken the feeling to being snapped with a rubber band.
Depending on which part of your body is being treated and how large the area is, the treatment should take 20 to 30 minutes.
To get the results you want, you may need to have several treatments. We will discuss this with you in advance.
Most people experience mild redness or swelling after the procedure.
What happens after IPL laser on face?
After IPL therapy, you may experience: Slight bruising, which will take 1 – 2 weeks to dissipate. Age spots and freckles looking darker for the first 3 – 7 days, which is normal. Skin becoming crusty or flaky, which may last 7 – 10 day. It is important to wear SPF50+ every day after IPL treatment.
IPL treatment heats up the surrounding tissue and melanin, with a higher risk of burns on darker skin types and due to the heat produced, can actually stimulate and increase the appearance of the darkened pigmentation and is therefore not recommended.
There is very little risk of damaging your skin from IPL treatments, also known as photofacials. A photofacial is a non-invasive treatment that saturates the surface of your skin with light to target problem areas and reverse both signs of damage and aging.
Avoid very hot baths, showers, steam baths or saunas, and don’t swim in strong chlorinated water for two or three days. Don’t use bleaching creams or perfume products for 24 to 48 hours. Avoid exfoliating or peels for one week. Try to avoid wearing tight clothing for two or three days.
While you heal:
- Don’t put on makeup if your skin hurts.
- Use moisturizing lotion.
- Protect yourself with sunscreen. Make sure it has an SPF of at least 50 and a physical blocker like zinc. Reapply it every 2 hours, even if it’s not sunny outside.
- Wash your face with cleanser for sensitive skin.
- We will be in contact after the treatment and we encourage every client to come for a check up after IPL treatments.
Please note that treatments may be shortened or extended as need be. Listed timings are average.
|Single pigmentation spot||15 min||€50||Book now|
|Multiple pigmentation spots||30 min||€50||Book now|
|Complete face skin rejuvenation||45 min||€200||Book now|
|Spider naevi (Vascular)||15 min||€50||Book now|
|Nose (Vascular)||15 min||€50||Book now|
|Face cheeks (Vascular)||30 min||€100||Book now|
|Face cheeks + Nose (Vascular)||30 min||€130||Book now|
|Chin (Vascular)||15 min||€50||Book now|
|Full face (Vascular)||45 min||€160||Book now|